For over 10 years, teens have been asking us questions on every topic imaginable. While we are no longer taking new questions, we have a wealth of information we would like to share with teenagers.
Questions about suicide? Call the NATIONAL SUICIDE HOTLINE 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433).
FAQ Home Page
Sexuality & Romance
Ready for Sex?
Posted on: 02/28/2007
I am 15 years old and i been with a boy for 6 months. i know everything about him, i trust him completely but i am just not ready to have sex. do you think i may be ready?
I am really glad to hear that you are listening to your heart and know you are not ready. Since you asked for my opinion, I will offer it. My answer is NO!
Here are some of the many reasons:
1) Your heart says "no," which should be good enough.
2) If there is any pressure from your boyfriend, then he is not doing what is best for you, nor does he respect you.
3) Research tells us that 90% of teens who start having sex before they are 18 regret it and wished they had waited.
4) The younger you are when you start having sex, the more likely you are to get pregnant and an STD.
5) Your cervix is not done developing, which makes you even more vulnerable to HIV and other sexually transmitted infections.
Listen to your heart!