For over 10 years, teens have been asking us questions on every topic imaginable. While we are no longer taking new questions, we have a wealth of information we would like to share with teenagers.
Questions about suicide? Call the NATIONAL SUICIDE HOTLINE 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433).
Navigate: FAQ Home Page > Puberty > Is 12-year old cousin ready for sex?
1) At 12, her cervix is not fully developed and sex can actually damage it;
2) The younger a person starts having sex, the more likely it is they will get a sexually transmitted infection, including HIV during her lifetime;
3) The younger a person starts having sex, the more likely it is they will get pregnant before they want to;
4) Any person wanting to have sex with a 12-year old child is NOT concerned about her well-being or best interest;
5) At 12, a person should be interested in becoming the person she wants to be, learning things, exploring the world and playing - being carefree and happy - not sex - that is something she should look forward to in adulthood; and
6) Most importantly, most young people who have sex wish they had waited because their heart gets hurt - the person who convinces them to start having sex does not stick around and they feel abandoned and unloved - and who needs that?
I hope she will listen to me, and you - she will be safer and happier if she waits many more years! Good luck!
Nancy Brown , Ed.S, M.A., Ph.D.