How We Began: Camino Medical Group
Like Palo Alto Medical Clinic and Santa Cruz Medical Clinic, Camino Medical Group (CMG) grew out of a belief that doctors working together could provide better care to patients. CMG was founded in 1954 as the Sunnyvale Medical Clinic. The original group consisted of six doctors working in a one-story building. Over the next 35 years, the practice expanded to a 100-doctor multispecialty medical group operating out of five clinics in Sunnyvale, Santa Clara and Mountain View.
In 1994, the group added 28 more doctors and changed its name to Camino Medical Group. At the same time, it also established an integrated health care delivery system with El Camino Hospital. However, this partnership ended three years later.
In 1997, the group re-established itself as an independent multispecialty group. It became one of Northern California’s largest physician-owned medical groups, with more than 160 medical providers caring for 140,000 patients in the South Bay area. Three years later, the group affiliated with the Palo Alto Medical Foundation and began to operate as a not-for-profit entity, creating one of the largest multispecialty group practices in California.
On the eve of the 2008 merger, the former CMG had grown to more than 250 physicians seeing patients at eight locations: Mountain View Center, Santa Clara Center, Sleep Disorder Center, Sunnyvale Center, West Valley Clinic and three additional Sunnyvale offices.
Back to top