Nutrition Counseling Services & Oncology Dietitians
The oncology dietitians at PAMF provide expert nutrition counseling services to patients and their caregivers as an integral part of cancer care. Our goals are to improve overall nutrition, promote healthy eating habits and enhance overall well-being and quality of life.
The dietitians work with individual patients and their families to evaluate the foods they can eat and help develop personalized food guidelines. We also encourage patients to take an active role in their care and to make healthy eating choices, which may include some dietary modifications.
Your dietitian is a member of your overall care team and will consult regularly with your oncologist. This team approach enables you to get the attention you need throughout the course of your therapy.
- Nutrition Counseling Services
- Benefits of Nutrition Counseling
- Nutrition Classes
- Contact Information
Nutrition Counseling Services
Dietitians work with patients and their families to:
- Screen and assess for nutrition risk
- Determine your nutritional goals
- Provide practical suggestions to help meet your nutritional needs
- Instruct on how to minimize and cope with treatment side effects that might lead to weight loss, dehydration, and an overall decrease in energy
- Design individualized dietary guidelines
- Offer strategies for family or caretakers to help patients maximize nutrition intake and quality of life
- Provide information regarding nutritional and dietary supplements
- Provide follow up care (as needed) through your treatment
Back to top
Benefits of Nutrition Counseling
Good eating habits and management of side effects are ways to take control of your life and your well-being. Being well-nourished has been linked to a better chance of recovery.
Eating guidelines for cancer patients can be very different from the usual suggestions for healthful eating. Nutrition recommendations for cancer patients are designed to help the patient cope with the effects of the cancer and its treatment.
Maintaining optimal nutrition can provide several benefits for people living with cancer, including:
- Prevent or correct malnutrition
- Prevent wasting of lean body mass
- Help the patient better tolerate treatment
- Reduce nutrition-related side effects and complications
- Maintain or improve strength and energy
- Improve the ability to fight infection
- Improve recovery and healing after treatment
- Maintain or improve quality of life
Back to top
Eating Tips During Treatment: Oncology certified dietitians offer practical tips to address nutritional impact symptoms for those preparing for or going through chemotherapy and radiation oncology. Location: Mountain View and Palo Alto.
When Eating is a Problem… During Cancer Treatment: The class includes tips for maintaining a healthy diet during treatment, a cooking demonstration and a question-and-answer session. Location: Mountain View and Palo Alto.
Healthy Eating After Cancer Treatment: The class includes tips on transitioning to a balanced and nutritious diet following treatment, a cooking demonstration and a question-and-answer session. Location: Mountain View and Palo Alto.
Back to top