Barley Pilaf with Wheat Germ and Portobello Mushrooms Recipe
(makes 8 servings)
1 tb extra virgin olive oil
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1 lb portobello mushroom, diced into ½ inch, stem removed
3/4 cup pearled barley
2 cups low sodium, low fat chicken broth
1 ea bay leaf
1 cup carrot, peeled, finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped herbs (oregano, parsley, basil)
1 tb grated lemon peel
- Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Sauté until onions and mushrooms begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add barley; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken broth and bay leaf; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low, stir once, and cover. Cook until barley is almost tender, about 25 minutes.
- Add carrots and herbs; cover and cook until carrots are tender, about 6 minutes.
- Remove pilaf from heat and stir. Cover and let stand 10 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in lemon zest and serve.