Bison Salisbury Steak with Cabernet Caramelized Onions, Wild Mushrooms and Baby Arugula Recipe
1 lb ground bison (buffalo)
2 large eggs
½ cup bread crumbs
¼ cup wheat germ
¼ cup chopped fresh herbs (combo of parsley & oregano)
2 tbs chopped shallots
1 tsp kosher salt
2 tbs olive oil
3 cups sliced red onions
1 tbs garlic, minced
2 cups oyster mushrooms, pulled apart
1 cup Cabernet Sauvignon (or beef broth/stock if non-alcoholic is desired)
½ cup low fat beef stock
2 cups baby arugula
- Combine the bison, eggs, bread crumbs, herbs and shallots, in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix the meat mixture very well then form into four even sized meatballs; flatten the meatballs into football shapes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat.
- Add the bison steaks to the pan and cook for 6-7 minutes, on one side, then turn the steaks over and cook another 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the steaks from the pan and keep warm.
- Place the pan back on the stove then add the remaining olive oil.
- Add the onions, garlic and mushrooms to the pan, sprinkling with salt and pepper then sauté until tender and golden brown, stirring often, about 10 minutes.
- Add the wine to the onion and mushroom mix and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced and absorbed, about 6-10 minutes.
- Add the beef stock then reduce by about half. Season as needed with salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the steaks back to the pan with the reduced sauce, cover the pan with a lid, and simmer for approx five (5) minutes.
- Remove the steaks from the pan and put onto plates. Add the arugula to the mushrooms and just wilt. Mound on top of steak with sauce.