Spiced Carrot and Ginger Soup Recipe
2 Tbl flour
2 Tbl butter, room temperature
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1 ½ cups yellow onion, diced
3 Tbl grated fresh ginger
1 ½ tsp garlic, minced
2 lbs carrots, peeled cut in half
3 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
¼ cup honey
3 Tbl wheat germ
¼ cup powdered milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/8 cup sour cream
salt and pepper to taste
- Blend the 2 Tbl of flour and 2 Tbl of butter together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Melt the ½ stick of butter in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and carrots. Season with salt, pepper, and sauté until just starting to brown.
- Add ginger and garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the stock and honey and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes until carrots are very tender.
- Using an emersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. (May use a regular blender but puree in small batches then return it all to the pot.)
- Stir in the wheat germ, powdered milk and cream.
- When soup comes back to a simmer, whisk in the flour and butter blend.
- Allow to thicken slightly then stir in the sour cream.