Mashed Sweet Potatoes and Carrots with Apricots Recipe
½ cup dried apricots
1 cup warm water
¼ cup honey
2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch cubes
2 lbs carrots, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
Water as needed
Pinch of salt
½ cup butter sub (I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter or Smart Balance), room temperature
2 tsp ground nutmeg
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the honey and warm water together. Add the apricots and allow them to soak for 20 minutes.
- Bring 1 inch of water to boil in large pot. Set steamer rack in pot. Place potatoes and carrots on rack. Cover with lid and steam vegetables until tender, adding more water to pot if necessary, about 15-20 minutes.
- While potatoes are steaming, remove the apricots from the honey water and chop to desired size.
- When the vegetables are done remove the rack from the pot and pour out the water.
- Place the vegetable back into the pot.
- Using a hand mixer whip the potatoes with the butter sub and nutmeg. Season as needed.
For those with mouth sores or oral cancers, consider pureeing this recipe. To make one serving:
Combine 1 cup mashed potatoes with carrots with 1 cup vegetable stock into a blender and puree until smooth. Adjust stock for desired consistency.