Root Vegetable Mash with Sour Cream and Spices Recipe
1 lb celery root, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 lb rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 lb Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 lb parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
½ cup garlic cloves, peeled
6 Tbl butter
3/4 cup buttermilk
¼ cup powdered milk
½ cup sour cream
3 Tbl kosher salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp allspice
1/8 cup fresh marjoram, chopped
2 Tbl lemon zest, very fine
- Place all the root vegetables, garlic and 1 Tbl of kosher salt into a large pot or Dutch oven. Fill with cold water, enough to cover vegetables by 1-2 inches.
- Bring the water to a simmer and allow the vegetable to cook 20-30 minutes until they are fork tender.
- Drain the vegetable in the sink. Allow them to sit for about 10 minutes to let excess moisture evaporate.
- Place the vegetables back into the pot. Turn the heat to low.
- Add the butter, buttermilk, powdered milk, sour cream, salt, pepper and spices.
- With a potato masher or hand blender, mash the vegetables to desired consistency. Re-season as needed. (You may add more buttermilk or sour cream if you like them softer.)
- Fold in the marjoram and lemon zest just before serving.