Vegetarian Cassoulet Recipe
(serves 4 - 6)
1/4 cup olive oil, extra virgin
2 cups leeks, washed and cut large dice
2 cups carrots, 1” dice
1 1/2 cups celery, diced
1/4 cup garlic, peeled minced
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
1 qt vegetable stock
1 cup white wine
1/2 cup wheat germ
2 cups sweet potatoes (orange), 1 “dice
2 cups parsnip, 1” dice
1 cup cooked quinoa (cook per package)
1 cup cooked barley (cook per package)
1 bunch thyme sprigs, (tied with string; makes it easy to get out)
1/2 bunch parsley sprigs, (tied with string; makes it easy to get out)
2 bay leaves (FRESH )
2 ea (19-ounce) cans cannellini or great northern beans, rinsed and drained
3 cups bread crumbs
1/3 cup butter substitute (“I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter”)
1 tbs garlic, minced
1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy bottomed pan over medium high heat.
- Add the leeks, carrots, celery, garlic and salt & pepper to the pan and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring often, until starting to caramelize.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan.
- Bring everything to a simmer. Re-season as needed.
- At this point, you can either place this pan in the oven or transfer to a serving casserole dish then place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- While the cassoulet is in the oven, make the bread crumb topping.
- Place the bread crumbs in a large bowl, melt the butter then pour over the bread crumbs, tossing to coat evenly.
- Add the garlic and parsley to the bread crumbs.
- After the cassoulet has been cooking for 30 minutes, remove from the oven and spread the bread crumbs over the top to create the crust. Bake another 25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.