Wheat Berry Pilaf with Orange and Pecans Recipe
1 tb extra virgin olive oil
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup celery, diced
1/4 cup pecans, chopped
3/4 cup wheat berries
2 cups low sodium, low fat chicken broth
1 ea bay leaf
1/2 cup chopped herbs (oregano, parsley, basil)
1 tb grated orange peel
- Heat the olive oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions, celery and pecans. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sauté until onions, celery and pecans until onions start to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the wheat berries; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken broth and bay leaf; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low, stir once, and cover. Cook until wheat berries are almost tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add carrots and herbs; cover and cook until carrots are tender, about 6 minutes.
- Remove pilaf from heat and stir. Cover and let stand 10 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in orange zest and serve.