Baked Sweet Yams with Maple Gratin Recipe
4 lbs garnet yams, peeled
½ cup water
1 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
1 Tbl apple cider vinegar
1 tsp kosher salt
3/4 tsp black pepper
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup maple sugar* (scant 3 ounces)
1/3 cup golden brown sugar, packed
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
½ cup granola (your favorite brand)
1/3 cup butter, melted (about ¾ stick)
- Mix first 5 ingredients in small bowl.
- Add melted butter and rub in with fingertips until moist clumps form.
- Mix in reserved grated yams.
- Cover the streusel separately and refrigerate.
- 1. Pre heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Set aside.
- Coarsely grate ½ lb (1 cup packed) of the yams. Set this aside for the streusel.
- Cut remaining whole yams into 1/2-inch-thick rounds.
- Arrange yam rounds in 4 overlapping lengthwise rows in prepared baking dish.
- Bring the water, maple syrup, butter, and cider vinegar to boil in small saucepan. Stir in 1 teaspoon coarse salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Pour maple syrup mixture over yams. Cover baking dish tightly with foil.
- Let yams stand at room temperature for 1 hour before baking.
- Bake yams covered until almost tender, about 40 minutes. Remove the from the oven and uncover.
- Increase oven temperature to 400°F.
- Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the yams and bake uncovered until they are very tender and streusel is golden and slightly crisp (about 25-35 minutes longer). Serve warm.