Breast Lift (Mastopexy)
Also known as mastopexy, breast lift surgery raises and firms the breasts by removing excess skin and tightening the surrounding tissue to reshape and support the new breast contour.
At the Palo Alto Medical Foundation, we offer breast lift surgery with a difference: pressure-free advice from an experienced medical team that you can trust.
We've been helping people just like you improve their appearance and confidence for more than half a century and – as part of a not-for-profit medical foundation – are truly committed to putting our patients first.
Who is a candidate?
Women who have:
- Sagging breasts due to past pregnancies, genetics, or aging.
- Sagging that is too great to be treated with an implant alone.
- Nipple-areola complexes (pigmented areas around nipples) that are enlarged.
- An elevated, more youthful breast contour.
- Nipple-areola complexes of the desired size and at the correct height.
- The procedure is done on an outpatient basis under sedation and local or general anesthesia. This means that you do not need to be hospitalized and can recover from the surgery at home.
- The design of the incisions can very but usually include incisions around the nipple-areola complex and in the crease under the breast.
- The nipple-areola complex is repositioned higher, the excess skin is removed, and the breast is reshaped in a pleasing contour and in a more normal position.
- The additional insertion of an implant may or may not be recommended.
Recuperation and Healing
- The patient goes home in a bra with only light dressing over the incision lines.
- Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication.
- Light activities may be started in seven to 10 days.
Additional procedures that may enhance the result are a small breast reduction or breast enlargement.
The procedure is considered cosmetic and therefore is not covered by insurance. The patient is responsible for payment. Financing is available for many.
Schedule Your Free Consultation
The specific risks and the suitability of this procedure for a given individual can be determined only at the time of consultation. All surgical procedures have some degree of risk. Minor complications that do not affect the outcome occur occasionally. Major complications are rare.
To learn more about the possibilities presented here, we encourage you to sit down with a member of our medical ream. Use our online contact form to request your complimentary first consultation.
If you're looking to receive a breast enhancement in Northern California, choose one of our board-certified, highly trained cosmetic surgeons.