Accepting new patients
Accepting new patients
Offers My Health Online
Education & Training
Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA, 1988
Kaiser Permanente Medical Center, Oakland
Kaiser Permanente Medical Center, Oakland and McGill University, Quebec
Harry J. Buncke Microsurgery Research Fellowship San Francisco, California
Hip injuries, Hip pain, Impingement syndrome, Instability/dislocation/labral injuries, Knee injuries, Knee pain, Shoulder arthritis, Shoulder pain, Sports injuries, Sports injury rehabilitation, Sports medicine, Sports medicine for upper extremity throwing injuries, Trochanteric bursitis,
See more + Click to expand Professional interests
Adhesive capulitis, Arthritis of the hip and knee, Hip injury, Hip pain, Knee injury, Knee pain, Pediatric sports medicine, Rotator cuff syndrome, Shoulder arthritis, Shoulder injury, Shoulder pain, Sports injuries, Sports medicine, Trochanteric bursitis, Viscosupplementation injections
Pain of the shoulder, elbow, wrist, finger, neck, lower back, hip, knee, ankle & foot. Arthritis of the shoulder, elbow, wrist, small joint, hip, knee, arthritis & foot. Additional procedures: platelet-rich plasma injections, viscosupplementation injections, pediatric sports medicine, sports injuries & sports medicine
Physician for Monta Vista High School Football Team, Volunteer Physician for the San Francisco National Bodybuilding Championship
Dr. Tonken enjoys travel, biking, and tennis. She enjoys the arts: theatre, ballet, art museums, and film as well as spending time with her husband and two daughters.
Physician Web Link
1. Yim, K., Briones, R, Lineaweaver, W., Tonken, H., Hansen, M., Pearl R., Buncke, H.J. Critical Ischemia Time in Microvascular Transfer of the Serratus Anterior and Gracilis Muscles. Basic and applied myology: Perspectives for the 90's. Unipress Padova pp. 373-387, 1991.
2. Tonken, H., Zhang, F., Sudekum, A., Newlin, L., Buncke, H.J., Lineaweaver, W.C. Microvascular Transfer of the Gastrocnemius Muscle in Rats. Microsurgery 14 pp. 120-124, 1993.
3. Zhang, F., Lineaweaver, W., Kao, S., Tonken, H., Degnan, K., Newlin, L., and Buncke, H.J. Microvascular transfer of the Rectus Abdominis Muscle and Myocutaneous Flap in rats. Microsurgery 14 pp. 420-423, 1993.
4. Ophthalmologic Impairments in Microvascular Surgery Submitted to Microsurgery.
5. Tonken, H., Zhang, F., et al. Experimental Microvenous Thrombosis following Anastomosis with A Knotted Suture: Microsurgery 16 pp 98-102, 1995.
6. Chausmorn, C., Lineaweaver, WC., Tonken, H., Zhang, F., Buncke, H., et al: Primary Common Bile Duct Anastomosis in the Rat Using Microsurgical Techniques: Microsurgery 15 pp. 857-864, 1994.
Philosophy of Care
I have practiced non-operative orthopedics for more than 20 years. My areas of expertise are sports injuries and arthritic joint pain. My medical background did not follow a traditional path; in addition to orthopedics, I have training and experience practicing general surgery, plastic and reconstructive surgery, urgent care and occupational medicine. As a result, I bring a broad perspective to my clinical practice, beyond that of a standard orthopedic evaluation.
Of particular value to my patients is my knowledge of the nonsurgical options available to them. I am particularly sensitive to the fears and anxieties that many patients experience with injuries and illnesses. For example, I have learned that some patients believe they may not need surgery, and that the physician may not have completely considered the nonsurgical alternatives before recommending surgery. I have also learned that many patients worry they may not be able to return to their preinjury state of health. These are just a few examples of my familiarity with patients' concerns, and why I place such an emphasis on discussing those concerns with patients.
I also believe it is important for patients to participate actively in the decision-making process. I believe that such discussions lead to more comprehensive evaluations and appropriately tailored treatments. Other important features of my philosophy of care are my emphasis on prevention, patient education and overall general health.
I believe that my unique perspective on the nonsurgical aspects of patient care adds greatly to my patients' overall experience, irrespective of whether they actually undergo surgery.
My perspective as a non-operative orthopedist adds an important dimension to patients seeking orthopedic care at PAMF.
This physician directory is provided as a convenience to you. It is not intended as a recommendation, referral, or endorsement of any particular provider. Physicians are not employees or agents of Sutter Health or its affiliates. The information is submitted by each doctor and we make no guarantee or warranty as to the accuracy of the information. Sutter Health is not responsible for any loss or damage caused by your reliance on this information. You should verify the accuracy of the information directly with the physician's office.