Need Help? Call 1-800-4SUTTER
Education & Training
Medical College of Ohio, 1994
Phoenix Orthopedic Residency Program, Phoenix, AZ and Diagnostic Radiology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland
Sports Medicine- Stanford and SOAR
Subspecialty certification in sports medicine, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Orthopedics, Sports Medicine
Sports medicine, arthroscopic surgery, clinical instructor for the Arthroscopy Association of North America
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA)
- American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM)
- International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS)
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
Dr. Murray grew up in Minnesota, where he enjoyed the outdoors and played a variety of sports year-round. He has played ice hockey throughout his life including: high school, college, Junior Olympic and while in Stockholm, Sweden. He enjoys all sports and continues to play hockey and golf. Dr. Murray has put his engineering background to use by inventing and patenting medical products which are being manufactured and used.
Physician Web Link
Associated Teams and Organizations
- USA delegate to China with an international group of sports medicine doctors, November 2009
- Team physician for the USA Under 18 hockey team who won gold in Sweden, November 2010
- Played on the gold-medal winning hockey team in the Senior World Tournament, July 2010
- United States Track and Field (UST&F) National Championships
- Team USA Junior Hockey
- Pioneer High School (San Jose, CA)
- UST&F Olympic Trials
- Lake County Captains Baseball Club (Cleveland Indians Class A Affiliate)
- Cleveland Indians Baseball Club
- San Francisco 49ers
- Phoenix Mustangs Professional Hockey Club
- Cleveland Junior Barons (North American Hockey League)
- USA Gymnastics Pacific Rim Gymnastics Championships
- NCAA Track and Field Championships
- California Junior Track and Field Championships
- NCAA Men's West Regional Basketball Tournament
- Stanford University basketball and football
- Santa Clara University basketball and soccer
- Foothill College
- San Jose Ballet
- Cirque du Soleil
Philosophy of Care
Dr. Murray is a board certified orthopedic surgeon. He specializes in arthroscopic surgery and sports medicine and belongs to the original class of doctors granted additional subspecialty certification in sports medicine from the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery. He is experienced in ligament reconstruction and cartilage restoration procedures involving the shoulder, elbow and knee.
Dr. Murray believes that "motion powers life." He seeks to enhance activity and function in all his patients using the most reliable and advanced treatments available. He draws upon a background in multiple disciplines to determine the best solutions for orthopedic problems. Dr. Murray enjoys treating and caring for athletes of all skill levels -- from recreational to elite. He strongly believes in participation in sports and exercise throughout life and has a special interest in the lifelong athlete.
He has served as attending and team physician for a wide range of amateur and professional teams and sporting events (listed above).
Education and Training
Dr. Murray graduated with honors from Yale University and was awarded a postgraduate fellowship at the prestigious Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Sweden. His thesis analyzing the biomechanics of knee function earned him a master's degree in Biomedical Engineering from the University of Minnesota. He graduated at the top of his class from the Medical College of Ohio where he received the Glidden L. Brooks Award for Excellence in all Phases of the Curriculum.
Dr. Murray's training in Diagnostic Radiology at the Cleveland Clinic, combined with his orthopedic surgical experience, uniquely qualifies him to diagnose and treat bone and joint disorders. He served as chief resident in the Phoenix Orthopedic Residency Program and completed a sports medicine fellowship with Sports Orthopedic and Rehabilitation (SOAR) Medicine Associates.
Dr. Murray has published peer reviewed articles on the topics of knee injury and diagnosis, knee biomechanics, and ice hockey related injuries.
Dr. Murray grew up in Minnesota, where he enjoyed the outdoors and played a variety of sports year-round. He has played ice hockey throughout his life including: high school, college, Junior Olympic and while in Stockholm, Sweden. He enjoys all sports and continues to play hockey and golf.
This physician directory is provided as a convenience to you. It is not intended as a recommendation, referral, or endorsement of any particular provider. Physicians are not employees or agents of Sutter Health or its affiliates. The information is submitted by each doctor and we make no guarantee or warrantee as to the accuracy of the information. Sutter Health is not responsible for any loss or damage caused by your reliance on this information. You should verify the accuracy of the information directly with the physician's office.