1. Moore, KA, Mery, CM, Jaklitsch, MT, Estocin, AP, Bueno, R, Swanson, SJ, Sugarbaker, DJ, and Lukanich, JM. Menopausal effects on presentation, treatment, and survival of women with non-small cell lung cancer, Ann Thorac Surg. 76(6):1789-1795, 2003.
2. Moore, KA, Ito, H, Clancy, TE, Burgess, A, Zinner, MJ, and Whang, EE. Impact of menopausal status on the behavior of pancreatic cystic neoplasms in women, Curr Surg. 62(2):258-261, 2005.
3. Dalal, KM, Moraitis, D, Iwamoto, C, Shaha, AR, Patel, SG, and Ghossein, RA. Clinical curiosity: cribriform-morular variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma, Head and Neck. 28(5):471-476, 2006.
4. Strong, VE, Dalal, KM, Malhotra, VT, Cubert, KH, Coit, D, Fong, Y, Brennan, MF, and Allen, PJ. Initial report of laparoscopic celiac plexus block for pain relief in patients with unresectable pancreatic cancer, J Am Coll Surgeons. 203 (1):129-131, 2006.
5. Dalal, KM, Kattan, MW, Antonescu, CR, Brennan, MF, and Singer, S. Subtype specific prognostic nomogram for patients with primary liposarcoma of the retroperitoneum, extremity, or trunk, Ann Surg. 244(3):381-391, 2006.
6. Dalal, KM, Panageas, KS, Patel, A, Jaques, DP, Brady, MS, and Coit, DG. Patterns of first recurrence and post-recurrence survival in patients with primary cutaneous melanoma after sentinel lymph node biopsy, Ann Surg Oncol. 14(6):1934-1942, 2007.
7. Dalal, KM, Woo, Y, Galanis, C, Gonen, M, Tang, L, Allen PJ, DeMatteo, R, Fong, Y, and Coit, DG. Detection of micrometastases in peritoneal washings of pancreatic cancer patients by the reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction, J Gastrointest Surg. 11(12):1598-1605, 2007.
8. Endo, I, Gonen, M, Yopp, AC, Dalal, KM, Zhou, Q, Klimstra, D, D'Angelica, M, Dematteo, RP, Fong, Y, Schwartz, L, Kemeny, N, Shimada, H, Blumgart, LH, Jarnagin, WR. Intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma: rising frequency, improved survival and determinants of outcome after resection, Ann Surg. 248(1):84-96, 2008.
9. Dalal, KM, Woo, Y, Galanis, C, Gonen, M, Fong, Y, Coit, DG. Detection of micrometastases in peritoneal washings of gastric cancer patients by the reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction, Gastric Cancer. 11(1):206-13, 2008.
10. D'Angelica, M, Dalal, KM, Blumgart, LH, DeMatteo, RP, Fong, Y, and Jarnagin, WR. Analysis of the extent of resection for adenocarcinoma of the gallbladder, Ann Surg Oncol. 16(4):806-816, 2009.
I am a surgical oncologist and board-certified general surgeon with extensive clinical experience and research interests in hepatopancreaticobiliary and gastrointestinal cancer. At the Dorothy E. Schneider Cancer Center, I work with a team of specialists, including surgical oncologists, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, gastroenterologists, radiologists, and pathologists. Together, we tailor the work-up and treatment plan for each individual patient through our Multidisciplinary Gastrointestinal Tumor Board, and we encourage patient participation in clinical trials.
With an expert surgical team, I perform extensive open surgeries such as pancreaticoduodenectomy (Whipple procedure), major hepatectomy, esophagectomy, gastrectomy, colectomy, and abdominoperineal resection, with the goal of achieving a cure.
Moreover, I seek to improve the quality of life of patients, and I offer palliative procedures for patients with metastatic disease. Whenever possible, I perform laparoscopic (minimally invasive) surgery to minimize incisions and reduce pain. My research has focused on molecular methods for guiding surgical management of cancer.
I have published in the New England Journal of Medicine, Annals of Surgery, Annals of Surgical Oncology, and have lectured on these topics nationally and internationally. I received the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center Chairman's Award for Excellence in Clinical Research and ASCO Merit Awards. I was previously a Lieutenant Colonel in the U.S. Air Force, having served as Chief of Surgical Oncology at David Grant U.S. Air Force Medical Center and was deployed to Afghanistan.
I appreciate the desire of well-informed patients to stay within their community and to receive cutting-edge, state-of-the-art care, and I believe our team can provide that service to you and your family.