Benefits of EHR
The Palo Alto Medical Foundation (PAMF) creates an electronic health record (EHR) for each of its patients, placing comprehensive health information at the fingertips of any PAMF medical provider who treats that person. Rather than chasing paper records, physicians, nurses and other staff members can access the EHR from any PAMF department or facility where their patients receive care.
The EHR allows physicians and staff members to:
- Document interactions with patients
- View medical histories and insurance information
- Make referrals
- Order laboratory tests and view test results
- Send electronic prescription requests to pharmacies (reducing the risk that hard-to-read handwriting will lead to medical errors)
- Flag potentially harmful drug interactions
The EHR also makes possible My Health Online, a secure Internet site through which patients can access key components of their medical records, request prescription renewals and appointments, view laboratory test results and communicate with physicians.