Handling Oversensitivity After a Major Loss
While Reference grieving Opens New Window a loss, you may be overly sensitive and easily offended by things other people say or do. If you find yourself reacting to what other people say and do, you can:
- Pause for a moment before responding to what you consider to be an insensitive comment or action. Concentrate on your breathing, count to 10, or recite a short prayer or poem that calms you.
- Remind yourself that you are under stress and not acting as you normally would.
- Ask people around you to allow you some time to adjust to your new life situation.
- Keep yourself from becoming preoccupied with thoughts about an insensitive comment.
- Focus on the goodness around you. Thank those who have been caring and kind to you.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: October 17, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference Anne C. Poinier, MD - Internal Medicine
Reference Sidney Zisook, MD - Psychiatry