Breathing Problems: Using a Metered-Dose Inhaler
Diseases affecting the lungs—such as asthma, emphysema, chronic bronchitis, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)—share many of the same medicines. These medicines are often delivered through a Reference metered-dose inhaler (MDI) Opens New Window.
Using an MDI:
- Delivers most of a measured dose of medicine directly to your lungs.
- Can help keep your symptoms under control and minimize long-term damage to your lungs.
- May prevent or reduce side effects of the medicine.
- May let you use less medicine than is found in a pill but get the same effect.
- May result in the medicine working faster than a pill form.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: November 29, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine
Reference Ken Y. Yoneda, MD - Pulmonology