Positron Emission Tomography (PET)
What Affects the Test
Reasons you may not be able to have the test or why the results may not be helpful include:
- Being pregnant. A PET scan is not usually done during pregnancy because the radiation could harm the unborn baby (Reference fetus Opens New Window).
- Using caffeine, tobacco, or alcohol in the past 24 hours.
- Not being able to lie still for the test.
- Being too anxious.
- Using Reference sedatives Opens New Window.
- Taking medicines, such as Reference insulin Opens New Window, that change your metabolism.
- Having recently had surgery, a Reference biopsy Opens New Window, Reference chemotherapy Opens New Window, or Reference radiation Opens New Window therapy.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference July 28, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine
Reference Howard Schaff, MD - Diagnostic Radiology