Preparing For Your Appointment
To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Reference Making the Most of Your Appointment.
If you have made an appointment with your doctor, you may be able to get the most from your visit by being prepared to answer the following questions:
- Have you ever been emotionally or physically abused by your partner or someone important to you? When was the last time this happened?
- Have you been hit, slapped, kicked, or otherwise physically hurt by someone? What kind of injuries do you have? Did you seek medical treatment for the injuries? When and where?
- How long has someone else's violent behavior made you feel afraid or threatened?
- Has anyone forced you to have sexual activities?
- Does your partner control most or all of your activities every day?
- Has your partner threatened violence against your children? Is he or she violent toward your children?
- Has your partner hurt a pet or destroyed things that belong to you?
- Does your partner use alcohol or legal or illegal drugs? Does the abuse happen when the abuser is drunk or "high"?
- Does your partner have access to guns or other violent weapons?
- Has your partner ever been diagnosed with depression or a mental illness, such as bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, or personality disorder?
- Do you have any Reference risk factors?