Tips for Good Vision
The following tips can help you keep your eyes healthy and your vision as clear as possible.
- Provide good light for reading, work, or study (soft background light plus a light on your task).
- Take regular breaks from close work and visually demanding tasks. Blink often, and close and rest your eyes when they feel tired or dry.
- Avoid glare on TV and computer screens. Place your TV or computer screen where lights do not reflect on the screen. Some people find it easier to work on a computer in a dimly lit room. And some people use special nonglare screens that fit over the computer screen.
- Wear proper eye safety equipment for hazardous tasks.
- Wear UV-blocking sunglasses to protect your eyes from excessive Reference ultraviolet (UV) light from the sun. Too much UV exposure can damage your Reference retina Opens New Window Reference Opens New Window and cause lasting vision loss. It can also raise the risk of Reference cataracts Opens New Window.
- Avoid smoke and other things that irritate your eyes.
- Get Reference routine eye exams from an eye doctor.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference October 16, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine
Reference Christopher J. Rudnisky, MD, MPH, FRCSC - Ophthalmology