Other Conditions With Symptoms Similar to Giardiasis
Other diseases with symptoms that are similar to the common symptoms of Reference giardiasis Opens New Window include:
- Bacterial infections with Reference Salmonella Opens New Window, Reference E. coli Opens New Window, Campylobacter, Staphylococcus, or Shigella. Symptoms of infection with these organisms generally do not last as long as those caused by Giardia lamblia.
- Viral infections. Symptoms of infection with viruses generally do not last as long as those caused by G. lamblia.
- Infection with other parasites such as Cryptosporidium, Cyclospora, or Dientamoeba fragilis. Symptoms caused by infection with these organisms last as long or longer than those caused by G. lamblia.
- Reference Appendicitis Opens New Window.
Problems with digestion that can cause symptoms like giardiasis symptoms include:
- Reference Lactose intolerance Opens New Window, which causes symptoms when you drink milk or eat dairy products.
- Reference Irritable bowel syndrome Opens New Window, which causes symptoms that come and go.
- Reference Inflammatory bowel disease Opens New Window (Reference Crohn's disease Opens New Window or Reference ulcerative colitis Opens New Window).
- Reference Celiac sprue Opens New Window (also called celiac disease or nontropical sprue).
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: September 9, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine
Reference W. David Colby IV, MSc, MD, FRCPC - Infectious Disease