Although you can't prevent acne, there are steps you can take at home to keep acne from getting worse.
- Gently wash and care for your skin every day. Avoid scrubbing too hard or washing too often.
- Avoid heavy sweating if you think it causes your acne to get worse. Wash soon after activities that cause you to sweat.
- Wash your hair often if your hair is oily. Try to keep your hair off of your face.
- Avoid hair care products such as gels, mousses, cream rinses, and pomades that contain a lot of oil.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Wear soft, cotton clothing or moleskin under sports equipment. Parts of equipment, such as chin straps, can rub your skin and make your acne worse.
- Avoid exposure to oils and harsh chemicals, such as petroleum.
- Reference Reference Protect your skin from too much sun.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference February 3, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine
Reference Alexander H. Murray, MD, FRCPC - Dermatology