How To Prepare
Before you have a liver biopsy, tell your doctor if you:
- Are taking aspirin, Reference nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medicines Opens New Window (such as ibuprofen or naproxen), blood thinners (such as Coumadin or heparin), or antiplatelet medicines such as clopidogrel (Plavix). You may be asked to stop taking these medicines at least 1 week before the test to lower the chance of bleeding after the test.
- Are taking any heart medicines.
- Are using any herbal supplements.
- Are allergic to any medicines, including Reference anesthetics Opens New Window.
- Have had bleeding problems.
- Are or might be pregnant.
- Have recently had Reference pneumonia Opens New Window, which may make it hard to do this test.
- Have a history of fluid buildup in the belly (Reference ascites Opens New Window Reference Opens New Window). Ascites may make it hard to do this test.
If you take insulin, check with your doctor about what you need to take on the day of your test.
For a liver biopsy, you will be asked to sign a consent form. Talk to your doctor about any concerns you have regarding the need for the test, its risks, how it will be done, or what the results will mean. To help you understand the importance of this test, fill out the medical test information form (What is a Reference PDF Opens New Window document?).
Arrange for someone to drive you home after the test because you may be given a Reference sedative Opens New Window to help you relax.
You will have blood tests done before the liver biopsy to see whether you have any bleeding or blood clotting problems. You may also have an ultrasound test or CT scan of the liver to check the best place to insert the biopsy needle.
Do not eat or drink for 10 hours before the test unless your doctor says it is okay. You will empty your bladder before the test.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference December 13, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine
Reference Michel M. Murr, MD - General Surgery, Bariatric Surgery