Colposcopy and Cervical Biopsy
What Affects the Test
Reasons you may not be able to have the colposcopy or why the results may not be helpful include:
- If you have sexual intercourse 24 hours before the colposcopy.
- The use of douches, tampons, or vaginal creams or medicines 24 hours before the colposcopy.
- If you are having a menstrual period at the time of the colposcopy.
- If a vaginal or cervical infection is present.
- If you have gone through Reference menopause Opens New Window. Hormonal changes may make it hard to see the cervical canal clearly.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference October 22, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference Sarah Marshall, MD - Family Medicine
Reference Kirtly Jones, MD - Obstetrics and Gynecology