What Affects the Test
Reasons you may not be able to have the test or why the results may not be helpful include:
- Taking certain medicines. Many medicines can affect the results of pH testing or esophageal manometry. Make sure you follow your doctor's instructions about which medicines to stop or to take before and during testing.
- Smoking or drinking alcohol within 24 hours of the test.
- Eating or drinking within 8 hours of the test, unless you are having prolonged pH monitoring at home. If you are having prolonged pH monitoring, try to eat normally and do your normal activities.
- Detachment of the wireless pH capsule before the end of the recording time (usually 24 or 48 hours).
- Movement of the catheter when you swallow.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference April 25, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine
Reference Jerome B. Simon, MD, FRCPC, FACP - Gastroenterology