This test measures the amount of lead in the blood. Lead is a poisonous (toxic) metal that can damage the brain and other parts of the body. A small amount is present in most people.
The reference values listed here are just a guide. These ranges vary from lab to lab. Your lab report should contain the range your lab uses. Also, your doctor will evaluate your results based on your health and other things. This means that a value that falls outside the reference values listed here may still be okay for you.
Results are usually available within 1 week.
- Your child age 1 to 5 years has a blood lead level of 5 Reference micrograms per deciliter (mcg/dL) Opens New Window or higher (or 0.24 Reference micromoles per liter (mcmol/L) Opens New Window or higher).
- You or your older child has a blood lead level around 10 mcg/dL or higher (or 0.48 mcmol/L or higher).
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference July 26, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference John Pope, MD - Pediatrics
Reference R. Steven Tharratt, MD, MPVM, FACP, FCCP - Pulmonology, Critical Care Medicine, Medical Toxicology