Smart Decisions: Know Your Options
Smart Decisions About Other Health Issues
See a list of Reference Decision Points about treatments and other issues. Decision Points are designed to guide you through key health decisions, combining medical information with your personal values to make a wise health decision.
Every solution to a health issue has benefits and risks. Only you can decide if the benefits are worth the risks.
Learn the facts
- What is the solution? Get a description of the solution.
- Why does your doctor think you need to try this solution?
- Are there other options besides this particular solution?
- Is this solution the common treatment for this problem? Are there other solutions to this health issue?
Consider the risks and benefits
- How does your doctor think this solution will work for you?
- What is the success rate? What does success mean to your doctor? What does success mean to you?
- What can go wrong? How often does this happen?
Ask about costs
- How much does the solution cost? How can you find out?
- Are there other costs to the solution, such as equipment or therapy?
Talk to your doctor
- How much does the problem really bother you?
- What are your concerns about the solution?
- Do you prefer to try the solution or another way of treating the problem?
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference August 17, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine
Reference Brian D. O'Brien, MD - Internal Medicine