Choosing a doctor or another type of health professional to help with your health care is very important. Never before have people had so many kinds of doctors and other health professionals to choose from. The relationship you have with your health professional greatly influences the health decisions you make and, ultimately, your health.
Talk with your health professional about being a partner in your health decisions. He or she will most likely support your desire to take an active role in your health care.
Think about these important things when you are choosing a health professional:
- Is the health professional Reference well-trained and experienced?
- Is the health professional Reference board-certified Opens New Window?
- Will the health professional be available when needed?
- Will the health professional work in partnership with you?
- Does your health plan provide coverage for this service?
This topic lists many of the specialties and subspecialties of medical doctors. It also provides listings for other types of health professionals you may see for your health needs. Each listing includes a description of the specialty and information about why you might choose that type of health professional.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference November 19, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference Anne C. Poinier, MD - Internal Medicine
Reference E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine