Achilles Tendon Problems
Most Achilles tendon injuries occur during sports and can be prevented. If you had an Achilles tendon problem in the past, it is especially important to try to prevent another injury. Make sure to:
- Warm up and stretch. Before any sport or intense activity, gradually warm up your body by doing 5 to 10 minutes of walking or biking, and then do stretching exercises. Reference Calf and plantar fascia stretches Opens New Window Reference Opens New Window will stretch the Achilles tendon area. More Reference general stretches Opens New Window Reference Opens New Window target other muscles, such as the hamstrings and groin.
- Cool down and do more stretching. After intense activity, gradually cool down with about 5 minutes of easy jogging, walking, or biking, and 5 minutes of stretches.
- Avoid any sport or intense activity that you are not in condition to do.
- Wear shoes that cushion your heel during sports or any strenuous activity.
- Wear heel pads or other Reference orthotics that are designed to reduce stress on the Achilles tendon.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference March 12, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference Anne C. Poinier, MD - Internal Medicine
Reference David Bardana, MD, FRCSC - Orthopedic Surgery, Sports Medicine