Other Conditions With Symptoms Similar to Diverticulitis
A sudden (acute) bout of Reference diverticulitis Opens New Window can cause symptoms that resemble those of other conditions. Your doctor will do a physical exam and may do tests to find out whether diverticulitis is the cause of your symptoms.
Symptoms of diverticulitis can be similar to those of:
- Inflammation of the appendix (appendicitis).
- Reference Irritable bowel syndrome Opens New Window (IBS).
- Reference Inflammatory bowel disease Opens New Window (Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis).
- Blockage in the colon (bowel obstruction).
- Perforation by a foreign body, such as a toothpick or a fish bone.
- Trauma to the rectum.
- Colon cancer.
- Reference Pelvic inflammatory disease Opens New Window (PID).
- Reference Urinary tract infection Opens New Window.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: July 19, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine
Reference Jerome B. Simon, MD, FRCPC, FACP - Gastroenterology