Before the visit:
- Complete a copy of the Reference Healthwise Self-Care Checklist and take it with you.
- Take a list of any medicines you are currently taking.
- If you have seen a doctor before for a similar problem, take the record from the visit with you.
During the visit:
- State your main problem first.
- Describe your symptoms (use the Reference Healthwise Self-Care Checklist).
- Describe your past experiences with the same problem.
After the visit, write down:
- What's wrong.
- What might happen next.
- What you can do at home.
For medicines, tests, and treatments, you may want to ask:
- What's the name of the medicine (or test, or procedure)?
- Why do I need it?
- What are the risks?
- Are there alternatives?
- What happens if I do nothing?
- (For medicines) How do I take this?
- (For tests) How do I prepare?
At the end of the visit, ask:
- Do I need to return for another visit?
- Can I phone in for test results?
- What danger signs should I look for?
- When do I need to report back about my condition?
- What else do I need to know?
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference April 19, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine
Reference Brian D. O'Brien, MD - Internal Medicine