Gallstone Symptoms: When Surgery Is Needed
Several conditions or situations may require surgery to remove the Reference gallbladder Opens New Window. Surgery usually is needed when:
- Your gallbladder suddenly becomes inflamed or infected (cholecystitis).
- Reference Gallstones Opens New Window cause repeated attacks of pain.
- You have growths called polyps in the gallbladder, usually larger than 0.4 in. (1 cm), that are causing symptoms.
- Gallstones cause inflammation of the pancreas (Reference pancreatitis Opens New Window).
- A nonfunctioning gallbladder is causing symptoms.
- The gallbladder wall has calcified (porcelain gallbladder).
- You have gallstones and an Reference impaired immune system Opens New Window.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference July 15, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine
Reference Arvydas D. Vanagunas, MD - Gastroenterology