Counseling and Therapy
Counseling and therapy are important parts of treatment. You will work with a mental health professional such as a psychologist, a licensed professional counselor, a clinical social worker, or a psychiatrist.
Find a therapist you trust and feel comfortable with. A good therapist not only provides help but gives you support and encouragement. If you don't feel good about working with one doctor or therapist, try another one.
Here are some types of therapy that may help:
Reference Cognitive-behavioral therapy helps you to:
- Change the way you think about things.
- Understand why it's important to prevent a relapse and take steps to do so.
Reference Counseling Opens New Window can take place one-on-one or
in a group setting.
- It helps you improve your relationships, deal with your symptoms, and meet your goals.
- Group counseling also helps you make friends and learn social skills.
Reference Family therapy Opens New Window is a type of counseling that helps you and your family work out problems when they occur.
- It usually includes education about schizophrenia and its treatment.
- It's important, because your family can play a large role in supporting you if you have schizophrenia.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference August 31, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine
Reference Lisa S. Weinstock, MD - Psychiatry