Preparing For Your Appointment
To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Reference Making the Most of Your Appointment.
You can help your doctor diagnose and treat your condition by being prepared to answer the following questions:
- What are your main symptoms?
- How long have you had your symptoms?
- Have you had this problem in the past? If so, how was it treated? Did the treatment help?
- If you are concerned about hair loss or thinning, when did you last have what you consider a normal head of hair?
- Do you have a family history of hair loss?
- What are your hair care habits?
- How often do you wash your hair?
- Do you use hot rollers, a hair dryer, a curling iron, or a flat iron or straightener?
- Have you had a recent permanent or used a hair color product?
- Do you regularly use elastic bands, barrettes, or bobby pins?
- Question for women: Are you using a hormonal birth control method?
- What nonprescription and prescription medicines, including vitamins, have you taken in the last 6 months?
- Have you had any recent illness or surgery?
- Do you have any skin disorders or chronic illnesses?
- Do you think you may have been exposed to head Reference lice Opens New Window or Reference ringworm Opens New Window?
- Does anyone in your family have similar symptoms?
- Do you have any Reference health risks?
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference April 26, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine
Reference H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine