Alcohol and Drug Problems
Preparing For Your Appointment
To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Reference Making the Most of Your Appointment.
You can help your doctor diagnose and treat your condition by being prepared to answer the following questions:
- How often do you drink or use drugs? What drugs do you use?
- Do you use alcohol and other drugs, both prescription and nonprescription, at the same time?
- Do you sometimes drink or use more than you mean to?
- What types of alcohol or drugs do you use? How much do you use each day?
- Do you drink or use drugs when you feel "stressed"?
- Do you drink or use drugs when you are alone?
- Can you drink or use more of a certain drug now than you used to be able to?
- Have you tried to cut back on your drinking or drug use, but were unable to?
- Have you had a drink or used drugs today?
- How old were you when you first used alcohol or drugs?
- When did you use the highest dosage of alcohol or drugs in your life?
- Have you ever had a blackout while drinking or using drugs?
- Is alcohol or drug use causing problems with your work, your school, or in your family?
- Have you ever been treated for a seizure or an irregular heartbeat?
- How often have you changed jobs in the past 5 years?
- Does anyone else in your immediate family have an alcohol or drug abuse problem?
- Have your family or friends ever told you they thought you had a problem with alcohol or drugs?
- Have you ever been treated for a similar problem in the past?
- Have you or anyone else in your family ever been treated for Reference depression Opens New Window?
- Have you ever thought about or tried to commit suicide?
- Have you ever tried to harm yourself or thought of suicide while drinking or using drugs?
- Have you ever Reference abused a child or Reference intimate partner while using alcohol or drugs?
- Have you ever been hospitalized for a drug or alcohol problem? If so, be prepared to discuss the details with your doctor.
- What prescription and nonprescription medicines do you take? Bring a complete list with you to your appointment.
- Do you have any Reference health risks?
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference December 23, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine
Reference Peter Monti, PhD - Alcohol and Addiction