Gas, Bloating, and Burping
Preparing For Your Appointment
To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Reference Making the Most of Your Appointment.
You can help your doctor diagnose and treat your condition by being prepared to answer the following questions:
- What is your main symptom? How long have you had this symptom?
- How long do symptoms last when they occur?
- What do you think is causing your symptoms?
- Have you tried any home treatment? If so, what measures have you tried? Have they helped?
- Have you been treated for this problem in the past? What was the treatment? Did it help?
- Do you think your symptoms are
caused by what or how you eat?
- Do symptoms seem to begin after you have certain foods or drinks? If so, which ones?
- Do you chew gum, eat rapidly, drink carbonated beverages, or drink through a straw?
- Do you wear dentures? Do they fit properly?
- Do you smoke or use other tobacco products?
- Do you drink alcohol? If so, how much?
- Do any other symptoms occur along with burping, gas, or bloating, such as a change in your bowel habits, heartburn, vomiting, or abdominal pain?
- Have you had any recent illness or changes in your health?
- Have you lost or gained more than a few pounds in the past month?
- Did you drink lake or stream water or untreated well water?
- Have you recently visited a foreign country or taken a ship cruise?
- Does anyone in your family have Reference celiac disease Opens New Window, Reference inflammatory bowel disease Opens New Window, or Reference intolerance to lactose Opens New Window or other food products?
- Have you had a mental health problem, such as Reference depression Opens New Window or an Reference anxiety disorder Opens New Window?
- Do you have any Reference health risks?
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference July 12, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine
Reference H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine