Statins and Statin Combinations for High Cholesterol
How Well It Works
Statins and statin combinations can:
- Lower the risk of heart attack. Reference 1
- Lower stroke risk. Reference 1
- Reduce Reference LDL Opens New Window by 18% to 55%.Reference 2 This means that if your LDL is 200, taking a statin could lower your LDL to between 164 and 90.
- Increase Reference HDL Opens New Window by 5% to 15%.Reference 2 This means that if your HDL is 60, taking a statin could increase your HDL to between 63 and 69. The higher your HDL, the better. An HDL of 60 and higher is linked with a lower risk of heart disease.
- Reduce Reference triglycerides Opens New Window by 7% to 30%.Reference 2 This means that if your triglycerides are 200, taking a statin could lower your triglycerides to between 186 and 140.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: June 29, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine
Reference Robert A. Kloner, MD, PhD - Cardiology
Reference Rakesh K. Pai, MD, FACC - Cardiology, Electrophysiology