Social Anxiety Disorder
While counseling and medicines are the most effective treatments for social anxiety disorder, you may wish to Reference reduce your anxiety level at home by practicing a healthy lifestyle.
- Reference Get regular exercise. Start slowly so that you don't overdo it. Build up your exercise program bit by bit, and aim for at least 2½ hours a week of Reference moderate exercise Opens New Window.Reference 5 It's fine to be active in blocks of 10 minutes or more throughout your day and week.Reference 5
- Reference Get enough sleep by going to bed at nearly the same time every night. Also, keep your room quiet and dark. This may reduce distractions and may help you get a good night's rest.
- Reference Eat a balanced diet by choosing foods low in fat and high in Reference fiber Opens New Window.
- Avoid foods and beverages that contain caffeine, such as chocolate and coffee, since they may increase your Reference anxiety Opens New Window.
- Try some relaxation exercises.
Certain breathing exercises and muscle relaxation exercises help reduce
- Reference Reference Stress Management: Breathing Exercises for Relaxation
- Reference Reference Stress Management: Doing Guided Imagery to Relax
- Reference Reference Stress Management: Doing Meditation
- Reference Reference Stress Management: Doing Progressive Muscle Relaxation
- Reference Reference Stress Management: Relaxing Your Mind and Body
- Change how you think. Positive thinking can change how you feel and can reduce your anxiety.
If you drink alcohol or use drugs in an attempt to gain confidence to face feared social situations, it is possible to develop Reference substance abuse Opens New Window problems in addition to social anxiety disorder.
For more information, see:
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference July 11, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine
Reference Lisa S. Weinstock, MD - Psychiatry