What Affects the Test
You may not be able to feel your pulse or count your pulse correctly if you:
- Have decreased sensation in your fingers.
- Are not using the right amount of pressure. Too much pressure can slow the heart rate, and too little pressure can cause you to miss some beats.
- Are trying to take your pulse in an area that is covered by too much muscle or fat.
- Are using your thumb to take your pulse. Your thumb has its own pulse, which will interfere with your counting.
- Are moving too much while trying to take your pulse.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference March 26, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine
Reference Thomas M. Bailey, MD - Family Medicine