What Affects the Test
Reasons you may not be able to have the test or why the results may not be helpful include:
- The use of hormones, including those containing estrogen or progesterone (such as birth control pills).
- The use of medicines, such as ampicillin and clomiphene.
- The time of day when you have the test. Progesterone levels normally fluctuate during the day.
- Having a test such as a thyroid scan or bone scan that used a radioactive substance (tracer) within 1 week before the progesterone test.
- Where you are in your Reference menstrual cycle Opens New Window.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference May 18, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference Sarah Marshall, MD - Family Medicine
Reference Femi Olatunbosun, MB, FRCSC - Obstetrics and Gynecology