Total Serum Protein
Why It Is Done
Albumin is tested to:
- Check how well the liver and kidneys are working.
- Find out if your diet contains enough protein.
- Help determine the cause of swelling of the ankles (Reference edema Opens New Window) or abdomen (Reference ascites Opens New Window) or of fluid collection in the lungs that may cause shortness of breath (Reference pulmonary edema Opens New Window).
Globulin is tested to:
- Determine your chances of developing an infection.
- See if you have a blood disease, such as Reference multiple myeloma Opens New Window or Reference macroglobulinemia Opens New Window.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference November 4, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine
Reference Jerome B. Simon, MD, FRCPC, FACP - Gastroenterology