Pinworms do not usually cause any symptoms beyond minor itching around the Reference anus Opens New Window. Many people with pinworm infections have no symptoms and may never be aware of the infection.
The most common symptoms of pinworm infection in children include:
- Itching around the anus. For most children this symptom is mild. Only in rare cases do children have very severe itching.
- Restless sleep (itching is often worse at night).
Other possible symptoms that may be present but are much less common include:
- Itching in the genital area.
- Pain or burning when urinating.
- Worms in stool (rarely seen).
- Abdominal pain (rare, except when complications develop).
The above symptoms may result in Reference anxiety Opens New Window.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference August 30, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference John Pope, MD - Pediatrics
Reference Susan C. Kim, MD - Pediatrics