What Affects the Test
Reasons you may not be able to have the test or why the results may not be helpful include:
- Recent use of antibiotics, medicine (such as bismuth) to control diarrhea, enemas, or laxatives.
- Recent X-ray tests using a Reference contrast material Opens New Window containing barium.
- A stool sample that is mixed with urine.
- Not collecting a large enough sample.
- Not getting the stool sample to the lab for testing quickly enough.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference March 7, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine
Reference Jerome B. Simon, MD, FRCPC, FACP - Gastroenterology