Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy
How To Prepare
Tell your doctor if you:
- Are or might be pregnant.
- Are taking any medicines, especially medicines for depression, such as paroxetine (Paxil), fluoxetine (Prozac), amitriptyline (Limbitrol), or venlafaxine (Effexor).
- Are allergic to any medicines, including any Reference anesthetics Opens New Window or dyes.
- Have had bleeding problems or take blood-thinners, such as aspirin or warfarin (Coumadin).
- Have had a biopsy in the past.
- Have had radiation treatment to the biopsy site.
Follow your doctor's instructions carefully. If you are given a medicine (Reference sedative Opens New Window) to make you relax or sleep before the biopsy, do not eat or drink for 8 hours before the biopsy. Arrange for someone to drive you home after the biopsy.
Talk to your doctor about concerns you have regarding the need for the test, its risks, how it will be done, or what the results may mean. To help you understand the importance of this test, fill out the medical test information form (What is a Reference PDF Opens New Window document?).
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference February 27, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference Sarah Marshall, MD - Family Medicine
Reference C. Dale Mercer, MD, FRCSC, FACS - General Surgery