Misoprostol for Abortion
Why It Is Used
Misoprostol is a Reference prostaglandin Opens New Window medicine used to terminate a pregnancy by starting labor. It is more effective when used in combination with methotrexate or mifepristone than when used alone. This is an Reference unlabeled use Opens New Window of misoprostol.
Misoprostol is also used to prevent stomach ulcers (labeled use) and for induction of labor for childbirth (unlabeled use).
Misoprostol may also be used to:
- Complete a spontaneous missed abortion (incomplete miscarriage).
- Start labor in second-trimester abortions.
- Start labor in third-trimester abortions. Third-trimester abortions are not done unless the fetus has died or has severe medical problems and will not survive.
- Dilate the cervix 3 to 4 hours before a surgical abortion procedure.
- Soften the cervix for induction of labor.
- Soften the cervix for special gynecologic tests.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: August 31, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference Sarah Marshall, MD - Family Medicine
Reference Rebecca H. Allen, MD, MPH - Obstetrics and Gynecology
Reference Kirtly Jones, MD - Obstetrics and Gynecology