Type 1 Diabetes in Children: Making Mealtime Happier
Some tips to make mealtimes more pleasant when your young child has type 1 diabetes:
- Set up expectations (and consequences) for staying at the table during mealtime.
- Keep mealtimes positive and enjoyable.
- Offer a variety of healthy choices to your child.
- Preparing an alternative meal during or shortly after a meal.
- Frequently reminding your child to eat (during the meal).
- Punishing your child for not eating.
- Giving "sweets" or other foods as rewards.
- Offering dessert only if another food is finished or the child "cleans" his or her plate.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference January 23, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference John Pope, MD - Pediatrics
Reference Stephen LaFranchi, MD - Pediatrics, Pediatric Endocrinology