Healthy Eating: Starting a Plan for Change
If you have decided to start a healthy eating plan, congratulations! Making that decision is an important step in becoming a healthier person.
Keep these key points in mind:
- When you're trying to develop new habits—whether it's healthy eating, getting more exercise, or quitting smoking—you have a better chance of success if you make a plan ahead of time.
- Knowing why you want to eat healthier can help you make changes in your eating habits. And writing down your reasons will be a good reminder later on if you get discouraged.
- A plan for forming new habits includes long-term and short-term goals as well as ideas for getting past barriers—things that might get in the way of your success.
- Start with small, short-term goals that you can reach pretty easily. It's easier to stay with something new when you have early, frequent successes.
- Support from family and friends can go a long way toward helping you find success in eating healthier. Don't be afraid to let them know what you're trying to do—and ask for their help.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: February 4, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference Sarah Marshall, MD - Family Medicine
Reference Rhonda O'Brien, MS, RD, CDE - Certified Diabetes Educator