The iLASIK Procedure
At PAMF, we perform the blade-free iLASIK procedure, which uses only lasers to reshape the cornea.
1. Before your procedure, computer software is used to make an individual blueprint of your eye.
2. You will be awake during your procedure, but you may be given a small amount of valium, a medicine that helps people relax, when you first arrive at PAMF's Vision Care Center for your procedure.
3. Next, numbing eye drops will be administered to your eyes. You may feel some pressure during the procedure, but the eye drops will prevent any pain.
4. Your eyelids will then be cleaned and an eyelid holder will be placed between your eyelids to prevent you from blinking.
5. A special IntraLase FS Laser is then used instead of a blade to create a protective flap of tissue in the cornea.
6. The flap is lifted and the Star S4 eximer laser corrects the shape of your cornea based on your unique eye characteristics. This correction is computer driven based on the custom blueprint of your eye that was created before the procedure.
7. The protective flap is then repositioned into place. It adheres securely without the need for stitches.
The procedure typically takes only about 10 minutes per eye. After LASIK, some patients report a slight scratchy sensation. This usually goes away within 12 to 24 hours. Although the vision is somewhat "milky" immediately after the procedure, most patients can already notice improved vision within seconds of the completion of LASIK.
Before going home, you may be given protective eye shields to keep you from accidentally rubbing your eyes. By the next day, most patients see well enough to drive themselves in for their follow-up appointment.
Contact us today.
Request a Consultation